Stuff that works:


I am not a big fan of gimmick songs but this one is an exception.  Stories say it was written in a guitar workshop songwriting class by Verlon Thompson and students.  The songwriting world credits it to Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson.

No matter what, it is a gimmick song that works...especially in Guy Clark's voice.


Well, I was passing by a pawn shopIn an older part of townSomething caught my eyeAnd I stopped and turned around
I stepped inside and there I spiedIn the middle of it allWas a beat up old guitarHanging on the wall
"What do you want for that piece of junk"I asked the old manHe just smiled and took it downAnd he put it in my hand
He said you tell me what it's worthYou're the one who wants itTune it up, play a songAnd let's just see what haunts it
So I hit a couple of cordsIn my old country way of strummingAnd then my fingers turned to lightningMan, I never heard it coming
It was like I always knew itI just don't know where I learned itIt wasn't nothin' but the truthSo I just reared back and burned it
Well I lost all track of timeThere was nothing I couldn't pickUp and down the neckMan, I never missed a lick
The guitar almost played itselfThere was nothing I could doIt was getting hard to tellJust who was playing who
When I finally put it downI couldn't catch my breathMy hands were shakingAnd I was scared to death
The old man finally got upSaid, "Where in the hell you been?I've been waiting all these yearsJust for you to stumble in"
Then he took down an old dusty caseAnd said go on and pack it upYou don't owe me nothingAnd then he said good luck
There was something spooky in his voiceAnd something strange on his faceWhen he shut the lidI saw my name was on the case
Songwriters: Guy Clark / Verlon Thompson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Stories: a Christian Bible and a Jewish Magazine that Make for Bad Religion

Who Wrote the Bible Anyway?