Image: Our Savior Lutheran Church I suppose that most of us who attended Sunday School or Hebrew School as children at some point wondered who actually wrote the books that were compiled into what we refer to as The Bible. I do not remember much about what we were taught but have a vague recollection that we were taught that Moses wrote the Old Testament, that the disciples, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote the Gospels, and the Apostle Paul wrote the Epistles. It was pretty simple. Image: Amazon There were many Bible-story books and some pretty good stories. None of the chronology or geography came into the picture, however. It seems that the adults did not think it was important or more likely that they had no idea about these things. If you start asking too many questions, Sunday School teachers get very nervous. I suppose I was an adult when I first seriously asked myself who actually wrote these books and how they were put togethe...
I suspect that if we were to ask most modern Christians whether the writings and teachings of Paul (Saul), the probable author of seven of the letters attributed to him, are the same as or congruent with the teachings of Yeshua of Nazareth, the Christian Messiah (we do not have any writings from Yeshua himself to compare), the answer would be "yes." A close examination of the scriptures, the official record of both Yeshua and Paul, will yield, I believe, some doubt to this question. It is important to look at the historical context in which the reports of both men are placed. Yeshua was a Jew living in the small town of Nazareth in Roman Judea. He was born to the wife of a local man named Joseph who is described in the Bible as a craftsman or technician of some kind. One English translation says he was a carpenter. The Greek word "tektōn" is used. It has been translated to mean carpenter, laborer, or craftsman. We do not know whether Yeshua was...
April 25, 1916, was the climax of the Gallipoli Campaign in which troops from Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand attempted to land from the sea and drive the Ottoman Turks off the Gallipoli Peninsula in what is now Turkiye. The landing was a disaster and ultimately cost Winston Churchill his job as First Lord of the Admiralty. ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) casualties on the first day numbered around 2,000 men killed or wounded. Eric Bogle, a Scottish transplant to Australia wrote this song in 1971 commemorating and lamenting the sacrifices suffered by the men and their families of Australian and New Zealand soldiers. "Waltzing Matilda" is Aussie slang for the pack and bedroll a "swagman" (bushman, vagabond, rover) carries with him as he wanders from "Murray's green basin the dusty outback." The song became an unofficial anthem of the ANZAC forces in World War I.
Comments
Post a Comment